WHAT IS KUBERNETES
Kubernetes is an open-source, portable, extensible platform for the automated management of containerised applications. Thanks to a very large and extremely active community and ecosystem, Kubernetes has become the de facto standard for container orchestration in just a few years. Today, Kubernetes can be called - according to a nice and extremely fitting definition - the "Cloud operating system", a status that can be explained by all the advantages listed below:
- Ubuquity of deployment - Kubernetes is built to run in any enviroment (on-prem, public or private Cloud) with flexibility and security, avoiding vendor lock-in;
- Modular - use of containers to enable faster development and to isolate dependencies between different skills;
- Development and updates are faster and time-to-market is reduced - Thanks to Kubernetes, it is possible to manage the life cycle and applications by guaranteeing:
- Greater scalability - Horizontal, with the possibility of adding or removing new instances, or vertical, both in automatic or manual mode;
- Increased visibility - Through queries for recognition of the completed, in-process or failed deployments;
- Less development time - Focus is on product development instead of the more repetitive aspects;
- Greater control over versions - Performing a pod update using newer image versions and easy rollback to the previous version in the event of instability.
Free downloadable content
GUIDE TO DEVOPS
What is DEVOPS?
How it works, how it improves the Business and what are the benefits for your Company.
WHO USES KUBERNETES
DEVELOPERS USE KUBERNETES
ADOPTION OF KUBERNETES
SECTORS EXPLOITING K8S
Our services with K8s
As a Kubernetes Certified Service Provider, Kiratech is amongst the partners with the highest level of specialisation on Kubernetes, operating on the Italian and European markets to support its customers in the adoption of the platform by offering services including:
- Kubernetes check-ups
- Kubernetes implementation Second Opinion Service
- Kubernetes implementation architecture
- Implementation of Kubernetes landscape (services for day-2 operation and multi-cluster scenarios)
- Comprehensive end-to-end security on Kubernetes infrastructure
- Application modernisation: container architecture and microservices on Kubernets
- Implementationof DevOps process and tools to support applications on Kubernetes
- Implementation of service mesh
- Observability of Kubernetes environments
- Krateo PlatformOps for cross-platform service automation
CASE STUDY: OUR CUSTOMERS' EXPERIENCES WITH KUBERNETES
After an initial phase of builting the blueprint of the customers' business platform, followed by the decision to adopt SUSE Rancher as the Kubernetes platform, Kiratech executed the delivery of the project in the following three epics:
- High availability, in order to deal with the falsification of the individual worker nodes and in consideration of the independance of the physical infrastructure (on-premise/hosting service/public Cloud);
- Inter-component Security, realised through mTLS communication made possible from the implementation of the Istio mesh service;
- Cloud native storage, through the use of Longhorn on Rancher.
The project was characterised by the following technology stack:
NAVIGATE TOWARDS NEW ROUTES
MIGRATION TO THE RED HAT OPENSHIFT CONTAINER PLATFORM
This project involved the refactoring of containerised monolithic applications running on Docker Swarm. For each of these applications, the architechture was reformulated according to the Microservices paradigm, using the "strangle the monolith" approach.
The applications resulting from the Microservice architecture were deployed on Red Hat OpenShift. This project thus involved both an architectural change (refractoring) and a technological change.
The technological aspects are related to the two container orchestration platforms and the accompanying DevOps tools:
The dual transformation of the architecture and platform affected all the artefacts used for the build and deployment. The pipelines on CloudBees were also changed accordingly.
FIND OUT MORE ABOUT KUBERNETES
How Krateo PlatformOps integrates Backstage
Useful DevOps Tools for a successful Reference Architecture
DevOps methodology in the Banking Industry: a successful digital transformation driver
SHOULD YOU CHANGE THE APPROACH IN YOUR ACTIVITIES?
REQUEST OUR KUBERNETES SERVICES
Rely on our Kubernetes Service